We are hiring a Communications Manager !
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Over 900 million people live without any access to modern energy services and double this number lack adequate, reliable access. Globally, energy poverty is recognized as a key impediment to countries’ and individuals’ potentials to lead fulfilling, healthy and productive lives. The Africa Minigrid Developers Association (AMDA) is an industry association supporting the scaling-up of decentralized energy utility companies building minigrids for rural energy access across Africa. AMDA has two central mandates, the first being to address the sector’s financing challenge by building up an evidence base of market information that financiers (donors and lenders) can use to better understand and trust the decentralized utility space with their capital. Our second mandate is to build up a more powerful and coherent industry voice on policy and regulation to decision-makers internationally and at the national level across Africa.
The Africa Minigrid Developers Association (AMDA) is seeking to hire a dynamic, proactive, passionate and results-oriented Communications Manager, who will have the overall responsibility to contribute in positioning AMDA as an impactful and leading organisation. The incumbent will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of AMDA’s communication strategy and strengthening of its internal and external communications platforms in support of the institution’s overall strategy.
Reporting to the CEO, the Communications Manager will serve on AMDA’s management team and work closely with both the CEO and senior leadership on AMDA’s positioning. The Communications Manager will work closely with the Communications Associate.
Are you an energetic, driven and creative communicator who enjoys working in the renewable energy or technology space? Are you passionate about the African continent, its people, cultures and its potential? Do you love writing and creating audio- visual and digital content for diverse audiences? Are you able to plan and execute large scale campaigns that address complex issues for a multitude of audiences? Do you enjoy or want to work across African markets? Do you thrive from executing creative ideas and tracking and improving your initiatives? If you are a versatile communicator who is eager to learn about Renewable Energy & Energy Access this role is for you.
AMDA’s Communications Manager role is responsible for building AMDA’s communication strategy and team. The role will focus on cross-functional engagement across the organization and with AMDA partners and stakeholders. The communications function will focus on the driving the organisation’s advocacy and branding initiatives while raising the visibility of the barriers limiting universal electrification and improving the visibility of AMDA’s impact. This role will report directly to AMDA’s CEO.
WHAT YOU WILL MAKE HAPPEN
- Guiding the development of AMDA’s communications plan in accordance with overall organizational strategy and effectively implement AMDA’s communication strategy and activities
- Overseeing the production of all communications materials, including press releases, talking points, reports, web materials, and videos are in line with the institution’s messaging, strategy and policy positions.
- Support multi-regional campaigns and other special projects that help to elevate structural issues preventing the growth of minigrids across the continent and distill solutions into easily understood actions that can solve energy poverty.
- Guiding the events organization
- Represent AMDA in government and stakeholder meetings with relevant government authorities.
- Managing stakeholders’ relations and engagements.
- Supporting the CEO and senior staff in the planning of media briefs, interviews, offsite visits and special events.
- Track performance of internal communications initiatives
- Keep abreast of trends and leading practice in internal communications, and bring the best ideas into the organization
- Create, develop, refine and execute internal communication in line with overall communication and business strategy
WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, International Relations, Journalism, Marketing or related field;
- 7-10 years of experience ideally in the cross section of cooperate business, startup, and government with exposure to renewable energy and or finance.
- With minimum of 5 years in a leadership role
- At least three (3) years’ senior-level management experience in advocacy or public relations with exposure to development sector
- Ability to understand, analyze, evaluate regulations and statutory changes to the operating environment for Minigrids
- Professionally communicate in writing (English, with French language skills being additionally helpful)
- Establish and maintain effective relationships across a variety of partners – business, government, funders, NGOs, etc.
- Experience and or willingness to work as part of a decentralized and partially remote team
WHY WORK WITH US
- AMDA is a unique organization that blends traditional association work with qualitative and quantitate research and financial advisory services.
- AMDA is influencing decision making across the continent and working large corporations, donors and researchers to ensure that we are building the energy system of the future.
- Be part of an organization that is changing Africa’s future for the better
- AMDA is a fast-paced environment where constant change is the norm and individual initiative-taking is encouraged
- You will have autonomy to implement your creative solutions – not just coming up with ideas, but possessing the commitment and skill to implement them
- Passion for research and analysis, organization, attention to details, and precision in all you do
Interested in working with us? Do you believe you are the right candidate? Send us the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your detailed CV
- A motivation letter explaining how you are the best fit
Deadline for applications: 30 June 2021